Sunday, November 30, 2014

Loving the spotlight: 2014 PCA champion Dominik Panka



Fresh-faced and angelic-looking, Dominik Panka certainly didn't seem like a shark when he first hit the spotlight on the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure in January. Although it became swiftly obvious that this was an experienced - and rather terrifying - player, Panka was still virtually unknown outside his native Poland. Expressionless behind a couple of dark sunglasses, he maintained extraordinary composure on the final table, even if heads-up against Mike McDonald, one of the crucial experienced players on the earth. Panka's $1,423,096 victory on the PCA catapulted him straight to the highest of Poland's all-time money list and straight directly to the arena poker stage.

domink panka 2014 pca winner.jpg

Once back home within the tiny town of Brześć Kujawski, Panka was inundated by requests for interviews. Was this delicate-looking 22-year-old over-awed by this sudden fame? Not somewhat it. Panka may come over because the humblest guy you have ever met, but he actually loves the spotlight and isn't happier than when he's in it. He said, "THE 2 weeks after the PCA were slightly hectic to be honest. I did numerous media, TV interviews. It was big news in Poland. A LARGE NUMBER OF successful Polish players don't really just like the spotlight but I do. I LOVE to look on TV, I enjoy it. And my win meant a large number of media were now paying more attention to poker."

All big events have their fair proportion of one-time heroes, and the tale might well have ended there. Player does well, player vanishes. Many thought that is what would happen with Panka. Butm oh boy, how wrong they were. Not up to a fortnight after the PCA, Panka travelled to Deauville in northern France having qualified, yet again, on PokerStars. He bust the primary on Day 1 (so far, so normal) but decided to stick on for the €10k High Roller. No person was expecting much, least of all Panka. He said, "I went to Deauville to offer something back to the poker economy. You can not just take the money and run! But then I played my first high roller and won it. I USED TO BE very fortunate though - good set-ups, everything worked my way. There are many players who're superb and playing their tenth or 15th major event but still losing the crucial flip. I UNDERSTAND HOW this life is."

Panka claims he was "fortunate" but he still bust two EPT champions, the 2014 Rookie of the Year and a former EPT Player of the Year on his approach to beating Lebanese pro Albert Daher heads-up. The victory added another €272,000 to Panka's bankroll and likewise ended in his being offered a sponsorship take care of PokerStars. He said: "My life was great even before the PCA. I'm easy-going and perhaps this is the reason I'M lucky. Maybe that's how run-good happens. I'm more financially stable now but my life is identical. Then I got sponsored ... PokerStars decided to take me under its wing. Really for me the most productive thing about sponsorship is that I AM GETTING to grasp most of the media and the PokerStars staff. I'm also more recognisable now, so I WILL just chat to the Team Pros if they're on my table. "

Panka's astonishing run-good continued. At EPT Vienna, he made two more final table - the €2k Eureka High Roller and the £2k NL Deepstack, topping up the Panka coffers by another €33,000. And by now he was also an ordinary and very popular guest on EPTLive. He said, "I bricked Sanremo and Monte Carlo but then it was EPT100 in Barcelona where I had another fortunate run. I bust just in need of the overall table in 11th place. This was actually very disappointing. Within the PCA I USED TO BE nobody, but in Barcelona I USED TO BE contantly at the TV table. And there have been such a lot of things happening that made me think I USED TO BE going to make another final table. I cracked aces with AK fitted to double up, and after the dinner break, there have been 12 left and that i was fourth. Really I USED TO BE super fortunate - as a result of AA v AK - but I still didn't make the overall table. Timex said that that after he made the overall table in Dortmund after wining the former year, after which bust, it was the worst feeling in his life. That was me in Barcelona - I ASSUMED the tale was going to copy. OK, I USED TO BE unhappy for ten minutes but that's so much for me!"

Now, just two months clear of PCA 2015, Panka is readying to defend his title. He said, "I DO KNOW what going back to the PCA can be like. There'll be numerous media asking me how I THINK - after which I'LL bust! Nevertheless it can be specialized to be there."

Will his family be coming to rail this time? No - it sort of feels wild horses wouldn't get Panka's mother out of her home town, but she is an avid viewer of EPTLive. He said, "She is my biggest fan - after all! - and she or he watches the live stream even if I'm on an outer table in case there's a little bit of details about me. But I DO NOT mind the spotlight. I WANT to be at the TV table at all times to be honest! I REALLY LIKE it."

Learn how one can qualify for the 2015 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure


TreasureIslandJackpots
Read More... [Source: PokerStarsBlog.com :: PokerStars Caribbean Adventure]

No comments:

Post a Comment